CESU SUSPENDS IN PERSON PETITION SIGNING EVENTS
Newport, RI: 3/25/20 – Due to the Coronavirus Pandemic, Citizens Exploring School Unification (CESU) has elected to cease all in-person petition signing and will now do so electronically and in the mail.
“We’ve been gratified by the outpouring of interest and support in our efforts to have the Middletown Town Council study the advantages and disadvantages of regionalization of our schools with Newport,” said Dick Adams, President of CESU. “To date, nearly 700 petitions (60% of the requirement) have been signed and are ready to be presented to the Middletown Town Clerk for certification. Unfortunately, we now need to pursue an alternative means of having the required additional 478 voters sign the petition by May 1st. Therefore, we will be offering the petition electronically on our website - giving Middletown registered voters the ability to download, print, sign, and mail-in this petition. Time is of the essence.”
“Keep in mind the petition only asks that the pros and cons of school unification be studied. It does not approve regionalization,” emphasized Adams.
1. Download/print the petition from http://CESU.NEWS
2. Once downloaded – the petition requires you to PRINT YOUR NAME, sign and date this form, including your local address as a Middletown Rhode Island registered voter.
3. After completing Step 2 - please have a WITNESS SIGN this petition where indicated on the form.
4. Mail the signed petition to 25 Olives Way Middletown, RI 02842 Attn: CESU Campaign Manager.
If you need additional assistance or have further questions call or contact CESU board members Ron at (401) 339-2839 or Greg at (540) 446-6045. Please follow us on Facebook to learn more https://www.facebook.com/cesunews/and sign up to receive our eNewsletter on our website.
What You Can Do to Help:
*Even if you signed the petition we circulated in the FALL of 2019 - we need you to SIGN the new 2020 petition!
WE NEED VOLUNTEERS to help us CANVAS neighborhoods. We will provide you with all the materials you need to go door to door including voter lists, clipboard, petition, door hangers, tri-folds, FAQ's etc. JOIN US!
We ask you to join us by signing the new 2020 petition to the Middletown Council asking for a reconsideration of their short-sighted decision.
As a grass-roots group formed to promote discussion of school consolidation.
· Asking for your input
· And your support
· Working to explore unification issues
· Working to develop the political will to confront the realities of old schools with declining school populations
· Vote his conscience as he represents YOU
· We may not always agree, but we can work together to craft common sense solutions to our common problems